Saturday, May 2, 2009

If you haven't read my entry about "public" restrooms, then you should check it out here first.


So there I am, standing there in my apartment building lobby waiting for the elevator. Standing in front of me are two woman and a young boy. (He was probably like 5 or 6 years old.) All of the sudden the mom pulls down the kid's pants, and lifts him up in the air to let him pee into the trash can...

I'm dead serious. I've been living in China for 10 months now, but that was mind-blowing.

Meanwhile I'm awkwardly standing there trying not to stare. But I just can't help it. I mean for chrissakes the woman was helping her kid pee into a trash can! Inside the lobby of the apartment building!

~shakes head~

4 Comments:

  1. George Mogi said...
    Is that much different from people who publicly urinate in the state? Different country, different standards, but I see a lot of people doing similar things around the world.
    amwong21 said...
    2 Things:

    1) The trash can was not that big. It was like one of those ones where the back half is an ashtray and the front half is the opening for the trash can. The opening couldn't have been larger than the size of a DVD case. And I'm sure his aim wasn't that good.

    2) They live in that apartment building! Why couldn't they wait to get back to their apartment? Was it really that urgent they they couldn't wait for the elevator? It's like why even bother to have toilets?
    George Mogi said...
    It like the littering concept . . . if someone see littering on the street, it is okay to litter there. If a place is dirty, why does it matter if I make it a little bit dirtier. . .

    It is probably the problem with parenting though. I would comment more here, but I'll kept that to myself.
    amwong21 said...
    For the record, I don't exactly appreciate people littering or publicly urinating/shitting in the US either. It's dirty, gross, and someone's got to come around and clean up after. Just because people do it and it's popular doesn't necessarily make it okay. But that's just my opinion...

    Then again, I didn't grow up in this country or in this culture. So I shouldn't say what is and isn't right. In any case, using the public as your restroom is just one of those things I will never get used to about China.

Post a Comment